Hair is an important part of our personality. How we look depends largely on our hairstyle. After all, that’s why we spend so much time thinking about our hair, getting them cut at regular intervals, and going for several salon procedures to get that perfect hair. Thus, losing this precious hair is one of the scariest things for everyone.
What if you can actually do something to prevent or control your hair loss? PRP, or platelet-rich plasma therapy, is one such procedure.
For men, hair loss is a common cause for concern. Up to 100 strands can typically be lost per day, but they can also grow back after a few days, and the cycle repeats. Hair loss occurs when you lose hair more quickly than your hair is growing back or when there is no hair growth at all. Males with hair loss may notice a thinning crown or a receding hairline. Almost 85% of men struggle with hair loss at some point in their lives. PRP can help you control your hair loss exponentially.
Consult a hair expert now.
Table of content
- What is PRP hair treatment?
- Who can get hair treatment PRP done?
- How is PRP treatment given?
- How much does PRP hair treatment cost?
- What are the PRP hair treatment side effects?
- What is the success rate of PRP treatments?
What is PRP hair treatment?
Platelet-rich plasma therapy is referred to as PRP therapy. This cutting-edge hair growth therapy involves drawing 5–10 ml of blood from you. It is centrifuged to separate the platelet-rich plasma component of this blood from the other blood components. High levels of growth factors are present in this solution. The growth factors in this solution help the scalp’s blood flow when it is injected there. The increased blood flow encourages lost hair to grow back. This treatment option is very safe with few risks or side effects because it uses your blood.
Who can get hair treatment PRP done?
PRP hair treatment is a safe procedure; you can get it done at any age. However, certain guidelines exist for people who cannot undergo PRP treatment. These guidelines are set based on your medical condition and overall health. The groups of people who cannot undergo PRP treatment for hair loss are:
- People who are on blood thinners
- Men who are heavy smokers
- People who have a history of drug abuse or alcohol
- If you suffer from any infection, acute or chronic
- If you are diagnosed with chronic liver or skin disease
- People who are fighting cancer
- People who have hemodynamic instability
- People who have hypofibrinogenemia
- People who are diagnosed with any metabolic disorder like thyroid disease
- People who have low platelet count or platelet dysfunction syndrome
- People who have any systemic disorder or sepsis
How is PRP treatment given?
Hair PRP treatment is a very simple session. It is no massive procedure, just a bunch of simple steps to provide your hair roots with the required nutrition. The general steps in a PRP session include the following:
- Collection of blood sample: Firstly, a 20mL blood sample is collected from your arms. The blood collection method is similar to the one done for any general blood test.
- Separation of platelets: The platelets are separated from the blood sample by centrifugation. The double spin centrifugation gives an optimal concentration of growth factors-rich platelets.
- Extraction and activation of PRP: The platelet-rich plasma is separated from red blood cells and platelet-poor plasma. Further, an activating agent is used to activate the growth factors present in the plasma.
- Injection of PRP into the scalp: The extracted PRP is loaded into an injection that is injected throughout your scalp at a standard depth. This ensures that the growth factors reach the hair roots, promote their growth, and strengthen them.
How much does PRP hair treatment cost?
The PRP treatment cost varies depending on the center where you get your PRP sessions done. On average, the PRP hair treatment price ranges between Rs 4,000 – Rs 15,000 per session across India.
What are the PRP hair treatment side effects?
PRP involves the injection of your own blood into the scalp, thus, it comes with minimal side effects. However, since PRP therapy involves injections, minor side effects can occur after the session. The minor side effects involved in PRP therapy are:
- Momentary pain due to injection
- Multiple pricking
- Pin-point bleeding at the site of injections
- Heavy head due to the effect of the analgesic
What is the success rate of PRP treatments?
PRP full-form Platelet-rich plasma therapy, is a scientific procedure to control hair loss. The estimated success rate of PRP sessions lies between 70-90%. There have been multiple studies done in the past to prove the efficacy of the treatment. A small study was done on 11 patients with androgenic alopecia in 2014. It was observed that injection of 2-3 cubic centimeters of PRP every 2 weeks to 3 months can increase the average number of follicles from 71 to 93. Another study was conducted in 2015, where 10 people were given PRP sessions at an interval of 2 weeks to 3 months. It was observed that not only did the number of hair increase but also the thickness and strength of hair improved. In 2019, a comparative study was done between two groups of people. The first group was given minoxidil and the second group was given PRP injections. The researchers concluded that the performance of PRP was better when compared to minoxidil.
Thus, PRP therapy is backed up by relevant scientific research proving how effective PRP sessions are in improving hair quality and number.
The final word
PRP, or platelet-rich plasma therapy, is a natural way to control and manage hair loss. It is a safe procedure with no downtime or recovery period. If you are suffering from hair loss, you must consult an expert hair care center to assess your condition and recommend the best solution. PRP sessions if given at the right time can provide you amazing results. So do give PRP therapy for hair loss a try.
Positioning of Aayna
If you are fed up with your thinning hair or are losing it at an exponential rate, then the AAYNA clinic is the best solution for you. The skilled and experienced doctors at AAYNA provide the best hair treatments specifically tailored to your need.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is PRP treatment for hair loss a permanent solution?
PRP treatment of hair is not a permanent solution. You will require touch-ups and maintenance sessions at regular intervals to sustain the results of the treatment.
Can PRP injection affect your mental status?
Of course not, PRP injections are limited to the upper layers of your scalp, and thus they have nothing to do with the functioning of your brain.
How many sessions of PRP therapy for hair are required?
You may require at least 3 sessions of hair PRP therapy. These sessions are given at an interval of 4-6 weeks, after which you can opt for maintenance sessions every 4-6 months.